If you see a turtle on a roof, chances are it had a jetpack.

First, let me say: Happy belated Christmas and new years to our turtle fans, and happy holy shit, fourth anniversary! I don’t know how the hell we’ve managed to hang on this long, but there it is, and here we are. Good job, turtle staff! WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SO DEDICATED. Ahem. For veterans of the site, most of you know we usually do something called the Twelve Days of Doujinshi leading up to the 6th, our anniversary (being today as of writing, but it will probably be the 7th in actuality once I manage to post this), hooooowever due mostly in part to sheer laziness (on my part– SORRY BROS THE WHEEL OF TIME TURNS AND I’M F*CKIN’ TRAPPED) we’re pushing it back this year be held…Well, some other time. When? I HAVE NO IDEA! But we’ll do it eventually. I don’t know about you guys, but I need my Slayers doujinshi fix or else I just can’t kick off the year right.

But that’s not what you’re here for! You’re here for RELEASES, and hobuddy ARE WE DELIVERING OR WHAT.

First up, Birdcage Manor is BACK! Which I’ve promptly decided to rename “The adventures of moe-moe Asai-kun and his significantly less moe living companions,” for reasons you’ll see there at the right. Where we last left our heroes, a power outage had Kiz’naw and moe-moe Asai-kun trapped in the elevator which, contrary to typical shoujo trappings, didn’t help them in the goddamn least. NOW COMES THE FALL-OUT.

Download The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor ch. 14
Read The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor ch. 14 Online

Second! We’re rapidly approaching the conclusion to Wild Arms: Flower Thieves and with only one chapter after this to go, the tensions are high, and the standoffs are bad-ass. Oh, and you can’t have a western without a good ol’ fashioned train-jacking, and Wild Arms, let’s face it, isn’t one to betray tradition. AND THERE IS NOT A THING WRONG WITH THAT — I just wish more of you read it! ;__; Besides, Guy is badass. I mean, come on. Look at that. Unf, unf.

Download Wild Arms, Flower Thieves ch. 11: Human
Read Wild Arms, Flower Thieves ch. 11: Human online

NEXT! We continue on with the much-neglected Lost Universe! (Hah. Slayers joke? Perhaps. CAN YOU TELL I’M OBSESSED) Since I continue to feel obligated to recap each preceding chapter because it’s been SO LONG since we released anything, where we last left off, Raile had convinced Kain & co to taxi him to the U.G. satellite database center, where he sets about collecting security against his “employers” — and appropriately enough, practically any Slayers fan knows the meaning of what he finds. THEN HE SETS THEM UP THE BOMB.

Download Lost Universe ch. 15: Return Home online
Read Lost Universe ch. 15: Return Home online

And rounding up our releases for the day, all I can say is please… please, don’t kill me. Because instead of the much, much anticipated ch. 32 (I know you guys are foaming at the bit for it), we have… THE EXTRA CHAPTER THAT CAME AT THE END OF VOL 7. This rounds up volume 7, so now you can download the whole thing in one go. =D On that note, SURE MUTSUKI YOU SLEEP IN A COFFIN AND YOU GET MAD WHEN PEOPLE THINK YOU’RE A VAMP. UH HUH. OKAY.

Download Barajou no Kiss vol 7 EX: No Moon
Read Barajou no Kiss vol 7 EX: No Moon online

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, now go enjoy your piles of READING MATERIAL

This entry was posted in Barajou no Kiss, Lost Universe, The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor, Wild Arms Flower Thieves. Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to If you see a turtle on a roof, chances are it had a jetpack.

1. j says:

Thank you! Happy anniversary! And what are you doing to that poor turtle? I thought this place was for turtle love, but it seems it’s a place for turtle love in any way, shape or form, even as a burger?!?

Thanks for all your hard work, I always look forward to your releases :D Happy holidays!

2. Helen says:

Thanks so much for your hard work Turtle Paradise! I don’t know what I would do without you guys! >.< I wish you all a very happy new year and may this year bring you all the world's happiness and cheer to a new and (hopefully) lucky year ahead of you all! ♥ :D

3. Nobody says:

Thanks so much for the chapter!
    Where was Yuki in all this? I missed him!
    Anyway, I’m not much of an age-gap fan, but either way, I really like this series!
    Thanks for scanlating this!

4. Student says:

Thanks so much for Birdcage!! Yes, there are a lot of feelings in it. xD And four years? Wow, congrats!!! Thank you for your hard work, I greatly appreciate it. Here’s to another great year, yes? :D

5. poruchan says:

Thank you so much!!! Happy Anniversary guys!! It’s been one year since I first started following TP and I still don’t know if rebmastu-sama is a guy or a chick. :)) Thanks again guys! :D

6. bookworm says:

Congrats on making it to 4 years! And WHOO! New Lost Universe PLUS Barajou~ You guys are spoiling me! Thank you!

7. insomnia says:

Happy Anniversary! Thank you so much for the releases! Keep being awesome!!

8. Lexi says:

I wanted to note, on Anise’s name that you had no clue of, just a post of speculations and possibilities.

It’s entirely possible, and I feel highly probable, that the eight strands refers to the four Rhode knights, and the four fake knights.

However, there’s also quite a bit of symbolism in the number 8. In China it’s the totality of the universe. It’s the symbol of infinity, similar in connotation to the perfect continuity of Orouborus. Circumcision is intended for the 8th day of life, also tied to new life, as well as being tied to baptism. In Babylon, in Egypt and in Arabia, it was the number of the duplication devoted to the sun, from where the solar disc is decorated of a cross with eight arms. In Japanese it’s tied to multiplicity. In hebrew, there’s the Tzitzit, which is made of four strings [each made of 8 strands] doubled and knotted to look like 8 strands on their holy coverings.

Onto her first name, Anise, and this is actually one of my favorites. It’s a derivative of Anice, meaning “satisfaction”. Of the two names considered to have been the entomological roots of her name (Ann and Agnes), Ann means “He has favored me” and Agnes means “pure, holy”

Anise is also a common shortening of Aniseed, the essential oils of which is used to alleviate chest tightening, a stimulant, anti-spasmodic. (It’s also used as an expectorant and a reliever of flatulence. Those are infinitely less romantic inclusions for the symbolism of her name.)It also brightens eyes, complexions, and stimulates nursing. (The latter could be symbolic to how she seems to mother and nurture others, but then again it could just as easily be unrelated, and I can be reading too heavily into this as usual. I love names.) Also an interesting side note on the uses of the herb her name is a shortening for- is the alcoholic drink Absinthe, which I doubt I need to describe.

/Woo, yay for a first time post in which I freak on unrelated things.

Thank you for your lovely releases. I adore you all. <3

9. pip25 says:

Happy Anniversary! :D I’ll post news about the new LU chapter to LJ if you don’t mind, since you were so evil and didn’t. ;P

@poruchan
    I LIVE FOR GENDER AMBIGUITY.

@Lexi
    Why hello thar. Welcome to the cool kids club! I can see you did your research — that’s some illuminating information you’ve dug up on the subject. The other Knights could be easily retconned into an explanation of Anis’s name, I think, even though Shouoto says in one of the earlier afterwords (volume 2 or 3?) that she originally had no intention of creating any Roses outside Anis’s four. (Though Lime and Orange would have to be left out at that, since they bring the total up to 10. =\) Funnily enough, Melly and I were talking about this same thing last night as well, and she pointed out that Anis’s name more likely has roots in the Star Anise spice. When you take her family name into consideration (eight strands at the base, was it?), it almost seems a definition of the physical characteristics of the Star Anise spice.

I’m kind of embarrassed I never stopped to think about it like that before, tbh. =\ But keeping that information in mind, I almost think I would have preferred keeping her name as “Anise” as opposed to Shouoto’s official romanization of “Anis.” But again, thanks for the extensive research! Very interesting stuff.

@pip25
    Lawl, oh pip, you’re such a true bro. AND I’M A BAD PERSON. But yeah, I’d appreciate that. I hardly ever get on LJ anymore, which kind of stinks since the last time I dropped by, the Slayers group seemed pretty active. (Envyyyyy)

11. myu says:

thanks! keep up the good work!

12. Dupajapońca says:

I really love you all for translating Birdcage Manor! :D And I love this manga. Please, more more more chapters! ;____;

13. Dupajapońca says:

Oh, and sorry for my english. I’m a foreigner.

14. noctemleya says:

Glad to see you guys back and best wishes to you all (even though they are coming late)!
    Also, thanks for the delicious releases!

15. Arisa says:

Thank you for barajou no kiss. I’ve only discovered it lately, and I’ve been reading it for a while, up till the last available chapter. Thank you for picking up this project :) i like the sleepy residents too!

16. We miss you guys! :3 Thank you for the releases!

17. empish says:

WOT, eh? I suppose that’s a good excuse if I ever heard one. Try Michelle West next if you haven’t already. There is less fawning of characters over one another, though the author seems inordinately fond of the word “patina.” Anyway, updates much appreciated. Definitely a nice b-day surprise for me as I finally surface from schoolwork to pilfer through the manga again. x3

18. Anarchy says:

Hello Turtle Paradise Staff,
    I was wondering if you guys would consider scanlating the manga Pumpkin Scissors. Its a fantastic manga, but no one is scanlating it, and the publisher has stopped printing the English version at vol.5 :( Japan has something like vol.14 out now, so it’s still going strong, it was just dropped in North America for some reason.

Thank you for considering my request.

19. Keke says:

Thank-you guys sooooooooooooooooo much!

20. Dupajapońca says:

I’m waiting for new chapters. ;____;