Author Topic: Oh, SLH  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Melfra

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.
  • Fandom Hates Me
    • View Profile
    • Melfra Likes Turtles
Oh, SLH
« on: April 22, 2011, 09 AM »
So we received a comment on our latest news post that got me to thinking a bit- What is so wrong with SLH? Reb and I sat down and tried to peg the things that irritate us the most about this series.

1. Starting with a technicality, fandom as a whole knows the events that transpire throughout the entire series. It's difficult to motivate yourself when people comment with things like, "Thanks for this chapter, but I can't wait until chapter x!"

2. The pacing is painful; throw-away events like Mayfest take four or more chapters to slog through, but no actual development takes place. Meanwhile, the main goal of "finding out who did that thing" take a backseat to shenanigans.

3. The love interest with his horrible personality is constantly crammed down our throats. If a chapter doesn't involve him, he generally has to make an appearance regardless of relevance.

4. Hiyoki is just so insufferably stupid and serves as a wonderful pedestal for the author to talk down to the reader through use of repetitious monologues which often repeat dialogue from just a couple pages earlier- or, in many cases, repeat dialogue from the exact same page.

5. Hiyoki's infatuation with said love interest borders on unhealthy. He gives her a bracelet but instead it's a collar- "an embodiment of our contract", he says. Instead of being a real relationship, their interactions are based exclusively on blackmail- whether it be saving the S-Hall from demolition or Cain using Hiyoki for his own goals, there's no actual affection taking place. Even the inevitable kiss feels like Cain marking his territory.

6. The cast is an amalgamation of stereotypes. Sure, the same could be said of Barajou, but in this case the cast isn't given really any chance to shine, as it's disposed in favor of Hiyoki (which is ironic as the series is classified as a reverse harem). The only two with any significant chance to develop are Cain and Ren- the other cast members are often treated as disposable. In an effort to curtail this, they're often allowed one-liners throughout the script, but there's not much interaction in the form of conversation aside from gags.

Any rebuttals/additions?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10 AM by Melfra »

Offline Celsia Yew

• Svagdricka
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Celsia Yew resembles dull Tin.
  • immortal saddness
    • View Profile
    • Himemiya Himiko
Re: Oh, SLH
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05 PM »
Within the first i don't know, 20 pages? of the first chapter you can automatically assume who the person she is looking for is and from then on it seems like reading it is pointless.Yet someway or somehow I just cant stop reading it....
Has returned from nowhere. :)

Offline Melfra

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.
  • Fandom Hates Me
    • View Profile
    • Melfra Likes Turtles
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07 PM »
I don't think the plot was developed enough at that point to actually guess who did anything was initially....

Offline Kaori

• Mad Scientist
  • Staff
  • Dark Rum
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Kaori resembles dull Tin.
  • Don't leave things in the fridge.
    • View Profile
    • I Get Hacked Too Much to Use This
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07 PM »
 :headache: I feel sorry for all the typesetters before me that had to typeset this manga. I only had to do 3 chapters at the end and I seriously considered quitting my position afterwards.

Luckily, I'm masochistic I love Turtle Paradise too much to quit.

My reason for hating disliking this manga is the typesetting. It was tedious and painful and I'm probably scarred for life. That's not an exaggeration either. But, for all the fans who like this series, I guess it was worth it. I guess.
Click below to see current work status.

Offline Celsia Yew

• Svagdricka
  • Celsia Yew resembles dull Tin.
  • immortal saddness
    • View Profile
    • Himemiya Himiko
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07 PM »
I don't think the plot was developed enough at that point to actually guess who did anything was initially....
As soon as it got to the page where it was like this man is making my heart beat and she passes out i was like Yup! thats him, the guy yer lookin for ms.noheart.
Has returned from nowhere. :)

Offline Sakana-san

• Staff
  • Carlsberg
  • Sakana-san resembles dull Tin.
  • It's art, dammit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04 PM »
:headache: I feel sorry for all the typesetters before me that had to typeset this manga. I only had to do 3 chapters at the end and I seriously considered quitting my position afterwards.

My reason for hating disliking this manga is the typesetting. It was tedious and painful and I'm probably scarred for life. That's not an exaggeration either. But, for all the fans who like this series, I guess it was worth it. I guess.

I love you for typesetting SLH. Honestly. I can't bring myself to hate the series, though keep in mind it's likely because I haven't worked on it yet. :frustrated: I'm sure I'll change my mind if I edit a chapter or five - Barajou was tough enough.

BUT SERIOUSLY! You are now amazing in my eyes for bringing me my guilty shoujo manga pleasure, in all its stereotypical, blindingly preeetty glory.  :rabugiri:

Offline Kaori

• Mad Scientist
  • Staff
  • Dark Rum
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Kaori resembles dull Tin.
  • Don't leave things in the fridge.
    • View Profile
    • I Get Hacked Too Much to Use This
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09 PM »

I love you for typesetting SLH. Honestly. I can't bring myself to hate the series, though keep in mind it's likely because I haven't worked on it yet. :frustrated: I'm sure I'll change my mind if I edit a chapter or five - Barajou was tough enough.

BUT SERIOUSLY! You are now amazing in my eyes for bringing me my guilty shoujo manga pleasure, in all its stereotypical, blindingly preeetty glory.  :rabugiri:

Zippy and all the previous typesetters have all my respect for lasting this long and for still going strong. OTL My aspirations are you.
Click below to see current work status.

・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・* .。.:*☆HELL YEAH TURTLE PARADISE CHAT IS PERFECT☆*:.。.*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・

Open in Another Window