Author Topic: Small things re: birdcage  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Watakushi

• Heineken
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Watakushi resembles dull Tin.
    • View Profile
Small things re: birdcage
« on: July 24, 2011, 07 PM »
The romanization of the title is actually Torikagosou.
It becomes apparent if you search for it using the kana: Torikagoshou vs. Torikagosou
(The + operator forces Google to search for exactly that term.)

Also, if you fine folk are in the mood to fix old stuff, there's this (besdies/besides) and this (Kizuna/Kizna).

That's all. Keep up the great work~

Offline Rebmastu

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.
  • Translator of the West
    • View Profile
    • MEIN MAL (Livejournal inactive)
Re: Small things re: birdcage
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11 PM »
The romanization of the title is actually Torikagosou.
It becomes apparent if you search for it using the kana: Torikagoshou vs. Torikagosou
(The + operator forces Google to search for exactly that term.)

Both are technically correct. 荘 can have read as either shou/sho; personally, I prefer "shou," but "sou" does the trick just as easily. To be honest, though, we don't typically refer to it by its Japanese title anyway aside from in a footnote on the manga page. Birdcage Manor seems to do the trick just fine.

As for Kizuna's name, again, both Kizuna and Kizna are technically correct-- in fact, they're pronounced identically. Sometimes Japanese writers, when converting the names of whatever character to a roman letter system, will drop vowels that tend not to carry over into other writing systems well, or they do it to reflect the way the name is pronounced. Example: Yusei's name, if we go by the Japanese script, should be written as "Yuusei," but it isn't, just because the extra vowel is unnecessary and makes his name clunky when converting to another writing system. It's Engrish, basically. Like how "Hello" will sometimes be changed to "Herro." It's just a writing system barrier that can be interpreted different ways. Getting down to it, Kizuna's name romanized out to Kizuna, so that's the reading I chose to go with, for the simple reason that A) I like it more than Kizna, and B) Kizna is a ridiculous name, frankly, and is unnecessarily distracting/fancy.

And as for the typo, well... Thanks for pointing it out, but that was all the way back in chapter six, so I don't think we'll be correcting that any time soon.
This is the first face you will see in hell.

・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・* .。.:*☆HELL YEAH TURTLE PARADISE CHAT IS PERFECT☆*:.。.*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・

Open in Another Window