Author Topic: Aya Shouoto art  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Celsia Yew

• Svagdricka
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Celsia Yew resembles dull Tin.
  • immortal saddness
    • View Profile
    • Himemiya Himiko
Aya Shouoto art
« on: June 26, 2011, 07 PM »
Is it just me? or do all of the characters in all of their mangas look the same?? I mean I know that its typical for someone with that drawing style to draw similar characters, but some of them look exactly the same!
Has returned from nowhere. :)

Offline Sakana-san

• Staff
  • Carlsberg
  • Sakana-san resembles dull Tin.
  • It's art, dammit!
    • View Profile
Re: Aya Shouoto art
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 04 PM »
Not just you! I've been thinking about that a lot lately, since I just got caught up to the newest releases of Barajou and SLH both (though that's all I'm going on for comparison orz) and as HELLA SEXY as she draws, there are sooo many visual similarities between the two series. Beware of the following long analysis...

Character one: female protagonist. Barajou has Anis, SLH has Hiyoki. Their personalities are admittedly multifaceted and I don't really want to go into comparison of them, but the way they are drawn as teeny-tiny-petite and cute as hell can't be overlooked.

Character two: the right-hand man. Kaede versus Ren-kun here - of course their hair color is a bit different, but the shape of their faces and their similar hairstyles give them away here as being based on the same visual model in Shouto-sensei's mind.

Character three: the princely type. This one gets a little tricky because I'm basing this off of their behavior more than their appearance: Tenjoh and Ninomiya. They both carry themselves like the important people they perceive themselves to be. Disregard the differences in their hairstyles...

Character four: the dark, mysterious type. Mutsuki and Kuga-kun are probably the most strikingly similar characters in my opinion. Mutsuki is so damn hot a "dark stalker" and appears stern and scary upon first glance. His old-fashioned speech patterns can be compared to Kuga's rather... gothic...? way of thinking and speaking and writing songs. Kuga is also so damn hot similarly intimidating upon first glance because of his mysterious disposition and commanding stature.

Character five: the uber-uke. (I say this because I am a ginormous closet BL freak. So shoot me.) Seiran-kun and Asukai are so visually similar (when not in color, of course - blue hair and purple hair... y'know.) that it stunned me at first. Okay, maybe Seiran is a teeny bit cuter... and of course their personalities are different. Not going there.

Aaand that's all I got for concrete parallels in archetypes. Other characters in their respective series have their own unique places, as far as I can tell - Schwartz is definitely one-of-a-kind, Ninufa is... well, Ninufa... Although I suppose you might be able to compare Itsushi to Yamashina. Visually. Maybe. It's the damn glasses. However, Anis has no equivalent of Cain outside her knights, and the fake knights can't really be compared to the student council.

Just my observation. Feel free to prove me wrong or call me dumb.

Offline Clov3r

• Staff
  • Sherry
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Clov3r resembles dull Tin.
  • Quality Checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 01 AM »
This is the reason why I kept calling Kaede Ren by accident.

wolves are cool

Offline Celsia Yew

• Svagdricka
  • Celsia Yew resembles dull Tin.
  • immortal saddness
    • View Profile
    • Himemiya Himiko
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10 AM »
@sanaka-san
I agree with you there, but its not just the "types" that are similar, its also the characters that look almost exactly alike.
a very good example here is the blue knight, asukai, and the kanami from pureblood boyfriend (J+K)
Has returned from nowhere. :)

Offline kotomi

• Heineken
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • kotomi resembles dull Tin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08 PM »
Yeah, they all look the same. And the personalities always seem to correspond depending on their color.

BLACK - Dark, mean, but really a tsundere.
RED - Rude but totally in love
WHITE/BLUE - polite and totally in love

and there's always someone with cat ears for some reason...

Offline AixxxMiu

• Heineken
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • AixxxMiu resembles dull Tin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 05 AM »
A lot of mangaka recycle characters, I have seen it a lot. Maybe thats just her set -recipe of characters (so to speak), what she feels works. Also Aki from junketsu resembles Mitsuki and kuga, but also if you take a closer look (dunno if this is just me though), you will also see that kuga doesnt have many perspectives (as in his face is usually shown either from the front or side and such) compared to Aki (which came after that manga), he has a lot more and Mitsuki (he has even more in latest chapters).
Anyhoooooo . . . . what I'm getting at is it seems to almost like the evolution of a certain character she has in mind that she perfects more and more with each manga she writes. Just a different role and story and slightly different looks.

well maybe even Shouoto-san has her favourite characters, because it's also not all of them that gets re-used all the time, or well certain traits of certain characters that gets re-used :razz:

but hey, if something works, it just works right. I'm really not complaining since I like her art. Though it can couse some confusion at times, I think it feels kind of nostalgic when you read her next manga.
''I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ''
Edgar Allan Poe

・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・* .。.:*☆HELL YEAH TURTLE PARADISE CHAT IS PERFECT☆*:.。.*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・

Open in Another Window