Author Topic: Probably someone will kill me for this but...  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Airi

• Heineken
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Airi resembles dull Tin.
    • View Profile
Probably someone will kill me for this but...
« on: May 16, 2009, 05 AM »
I prefer this spin-off to the original series!! :razz:
In Gakuen Dakenroku, Characters are not really OOC and seem more mature and a bit less tormented than usual... I mean, they are, but they don't go crazy :deadface: (unless it doesn't happen in the near future  :frustrated:)
In particular, I love this good/evil Kaworu!! :rabugiri: He is more human than the original manga's version while in the anime...well...he hasn't been shown so much  :weepygiri:
(I'm sorry for my bad english >_<)

Offline Rebmastu

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.
  • Translator of the West
    • View Profile
    • MEIN MAL (Livejournal inactive)
Re: Probably someone will kill me for this but...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09 AM »
I don't know if I like it over the original, but it's definitely better than any of the other spinoffs out there. xD The only beef I have with it is Min's art style (it starts off pretty, but then gets kind of uglier? None of the characters look like they did in the first chapter! ><) and her storytelling is really lackluster. =\ It was great in the first few chapters, again, but now with this Iruel arc, I'm just not feeling it. -_-;;; She takes too much time to set up the next arc, too. It's really alienating a lot of her fans. =\

BUT NOW I'M JUST RANTING, CARRY ON! I STILL AGREE IT'S MUCH BETTER THAN THE OTHER SPINOFFS, THOUGH. XD
This is the first face you will see in hell.

Offline Noca

• Heineken
  • Noca resembles dull Tin.
    • View Profile
    • a good amount of Kaworu
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01 PM »
and her storytelling is really lackluster. =\ It was great in the first few chapters, again, but now with this Iruel arc, I'm just not feeling it. -_-;;; She takes too much time to set up the next arc, too. It's really alienating a lot of her fans. =\

Does this mean it won't be translated any more? I don't know, I got a lot out of reading Gakuen Datenroku. Kaworu's characterization is really in-depth and the mysteries surrounding him grow with each chapter. Shinji is growing more capable all the time, Rei is changing little by little because of Shinji's growth. And asuka...that's just beginning. I admit the Iruel arc isn't as strong as the preceding chapters, but I really do think that GD is a worthwhile comic, and I applaud all your efforts in getting it out onto the internet so people can experience it.

Offline Rebmastu

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.
  • Translator of the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01 PM »
Nah, we don't have any plans to halt it or anything, but I need to go back and re-translate the first few chapters because I translated them back when I was first starting out, blah blah blah, mistakes of youth, yadda yadda yadda. But no, we're just waiting on the release of volume 4, 'cause Asuka's print quality sucks ass and I'm sooooo tired of trying to work with it. We should see that within the next couple of months or so.

Offline Noca

• Heineken
  • Noca resembles dull Tin.
    • View Profile
    • a good amount of Kaworu
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01 PM »
^Oh, I'm so relieved.  Thanks for continuing the project. This is waaay off-topic, but I always liked your translations (they seemed smoother than a lot of other translations) and the scans are always very, very clear. So thanks for your hard work.

Topic: There are aspects of NGE and GD that I like, they can't really be compared. GD seems to be following NGE with the well-rounded characterization, but also including Kaworu in that mix. The Angels as having human bodies was an interesting twist, but I think I like the original more. Though, you can't really compare an anime to a manga. Unless this is about Sadamoto's Evangelion and the GD manga...

Offline Red Allister

• Heineken
  • Red Allister resembles dull Tin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03 PM »
well there's a difference between spin off and adaptation.

the original was clearly an adaptation, while angelic days and gakuen datenroku are spin offs. i really enjoyed the series, but too bad it ended. i saw a picture that looked like an anime version of it, but i might be mistaking it for  another series

Offline Lucky You

• Heineken
  • Lucky You resembles dull Tin.
  • Hi Miss Alice.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube!?!?!?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 10 AM »
Best spinoff, but I don't agree with the whole better than original...*more of an original person*

Offline Rebmastu

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Translator of the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 03 PM »
The problem most people have with Sadamoto's Eva is that it's just soooo drawn out. He's obviously in no rush to finish it, since the manga itself is an enormous cash-cow to the creators - Hell, I'm sure Eva funds Gainax even now, while the same goes for our wayward manga-creator.

I find that once a manga ends, commercial interest in it flails exponentially. For an example, bust look at any online reader site, and check the rankings for complete series vs. ongoing. Waiting for a new chapter every week/month may be frustrating, but it keeps the title fresh in the consumer's mind, and that comes to an abrupt halt once the series finishes, which is my guess as to why Sadamoto's taking so damn long.

OF COURSE THAT'S ENTIRELY IRRELEVANT.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the original myself. I mean, I'll still go out and buy the new volumes... But for as much as I rag on Datenroku, I still like it more.

・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・* .。.:*☆HELL YEAH TURTLE PARADISE CHAT IS PERFECT☆*:.。.*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・

Open in Another Window