Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 21431 times)

Offline Tom the Mighty

• teeheeheheheeeheheheehehehehehehehheheheee
  • Staff
  • Port Wine
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Tom the Mighty resembles dull Tin.
  • Darth Condom
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Art Blog
What are you playing?
« on: May 16, 2009, 01 PM »
What games are you currently playing and what's your opinion of them?
NOTE: Please no "reviews" like OMG! THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME CUZ I'M A BIG FAN OF "X"!

Guess I'll start . . .

I'm playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope. My thoughts are while the game has a fun battle and item creation system, the music, character designs and story are pretty average. The graphics, while technically pretty, suffer from frame-rate issues and the voice acting is absolutely atrocious.  All in all it just feels like a generic sci-fi anime from the late 90's, but the battle system pulls its head above the water.
Did you bring home the coleslaw you lazy B#&*@!?

Offline Melfra

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.
  • Fandom Hates Me
    • View Profile
    • Melfra Likes Turtles
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 05 PM »
What, a post from Tom that doesn't look like it came from /b/? Well, I never!

Joking aside, I've been playing Tales of Phantasia, and it keeps reminding me why I hate most of the games that are coming out lately. It just feels to me that recent games make up for lack of characterization with pretty graphics, and that makes for some pretty uninvolved gameplay. Phantasia, on the other hand, has characters I can really get behind (aside from Mint, who just feels shallow no matter how hard I try to like her), and I found myself crying, "Chester!!!" at multiple points of the game. What can I say, I really, really got attached to Chester =P

Aside from that, I was playing Persona 3, but for some reason I just can't get into it despite the hype and great reviews it's gotten. Perhaps it's another victim of characterization- I know it keeps pushing Yukari as a canon love interest for the Protagonist, but when I, a fan of tsundere, can't help but see her as a bitch, aren't they just going about it the wrong way? Well, that and dungeon crawling infuriates me. I mean, geeze. I hate dungeon crawling.

Offline Tom the Mighty

• Staff
  • Port Wine
  • Darth Condom
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Art Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06 PM »
oh, the Tales series . . . been playing since the SNES and I can't help but wonder when they are gonna shake things up a little. . . . I feel like I've been playing pretty much the same game since 95. You do have a point with the whole "pretty graphics without characterization thingie", Phantasia does a better job than most JRPGs.  Dragon Quest! I'm looking at you! Shape up! :angry:

Offline Melfra

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.
  • Fandom Hates Me
    • View Profile
    • Melfra Likes Turtles
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 06 PM »
I'm a relative newbie when it comes to Tales- the first one I played was Tales of Destiny (which rocked my socks but when I found out my secret ship of Stahn x Rutee was canon I had no idea how to take it), and I decided I wanted to get current. I'm the worst perfectionist ever so I had to start from square one  :weepygiri:

As for other games: I'm also playing Ef - the First Tale (Miyako route). I'm not really far enough in to get a solid impression, but wow, when people say this game is cinematic, they seriously aren't joking! I once tried ripping the CGs and that was... I swear, it was impossible to find anything in that folder. The music is lovely though, and Miyako is, well, charming. And it's a huge plus that the guys have faces, but if they went through the trouble of outsourcing the character designs for them, couldn't they be a bit better drawn? I mean, Himuro is sitting there looking like an egg head half the time. Blah, now I want to finish up the Tale of Melodies anime.

Offline Revamp

• Heineken
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Revamp resembles dull Tin.
  • Killing them loudly... with a Chainsaw! RRRRRR
    • View Profile
    • STRIKEDOWN - DOGS RP
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 06 PM »
I've been playing all sorts of stuff... i haven't bought any games in about two years, because i'm flat broke, but i borrow them like a mad man. So, i've been playiing a lot of strange titles i wouldn't normally have played. I've been beating the crap out of Starwars Battlefront 1, and hating those Droideka's like mad. Grand theft Auto: San Andreas, fails to keep my attention for long as well... Rockstar made it big with those Tony Hawk Games, but the graphics people have now ought to be better put to use. Their characters are always so angular, when the rest of everything looks totally up to date. Oh! I've been loving Destroy All Humans II, it rocks! love me some mind controlled hippies, plus its just so fun to chuck a car at a guy and watch everything go to hell in an instant.  ^___^ Um... lets see... Final Fantasy X, been playing that some. I can't seem to get into it though, the characters just aren't very involving for me... it reminds me a lot of a novel, rather than a storyline. Xenosaga's been kinda fun, though the characters are again really hollow, but damn... the cinematics are too freakin long! i waited 30 minutes at some points just to get back to playing. Plus, the eyes... they just look totally dead inside. Replaying through Disgaea 2, and enjoying it. I really liked that game, almost more than the first one. Though, i miss laharl... It takes way too many play throughs to unlock him as a character for use, and by the time you do it the plots gonna be totally uninteresting. Anyway, thats enough out of me for the moment, i suppose.

REVAMP

Offline Tom the Mighty

• Staff
  • Port Wine
  • Darth Condom
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 06 PM »
Keep playing Final Fantasy X; trust me, the story and characters will blow you away, just give it some time.  Agreed about Xenosaga though, best thing I can say about that game is it brought android lesbianism to the mainstream. . .

Offline Moonshayde

• Staff
  • Mulled Wine
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Moonshayde resembles dull Tin.
  • The greater of two evils.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blargh
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 07 PM »
Bwah... I feel lazy.  My roommates and I got hooked on Animal Crossing of all things.  We've been playing that constantly.  I don't think I've sat down and played a game with a serious storyline in forever. But I'll tell you, we've got that whole perfect town thing down, but you can only catch so many fish and pull so many weeds before a part of your brain goes numb.  That's why you decorate your house.
I watched my fiance play most of Resident Evil 5.  It looks really cool and some of the settings are really cool but it just seems like a boobalisious action movie with Sheva only being there to kill things in really sexy ways.  Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate that, but her character was a little uninteresting.  If anything the enemies got even grosser and there is definitely some sort of tentacle fetish going on.  Not in a good way mind you.  And explosions.  It was like a Michel Bay movie with gross tentacle monsters and zombies.  I'll guess I'll have to brake down and play it myself, but man, I such hardcore at anything that involves, you know, aiming with a joystick. 

Offline Tom the Mighty

• Staff
  • Port Wine
  • Darth Condom
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Art Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01 AM »
Resident Evil 5 was laaaaaame. It was just four with better graphics despite Shinji Mikami specifically telling Capcom NOT to do it like 4. 

And Moonshade, about the only games I ever played with a joystick was the PC and Mac X-wing/Tie Fighter series but I still feel you on that.

Offline LiluDallas

• Heineken
  • LiluDallas resembles dull Tin.
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 07 PM »
RE5 wasn't that bad! Sure the story was lacking and that was possibly one of the most anti-climatic endings ever, but from a shallow POV it was fun and pretty  :happygiri:
Komm, süsser Tod

Offline Tom the Mighty

• Staff
  • Port Wine
  • Darth Condom
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Art Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 09 PM »
You should write for Gameinformer!  :razz:

Offline LiluDallas

• Heineken
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 06 PM »
Tha would be so cool!!!
Oh so it my birthday tomorrow which means I GET CASH!!!!!
Any suggestions as towards games? (I have a 360 and wii right now no PS3 =[)
Komm, süsser Tod

Offline Tom the Mighty

• Staff
  • Port Wine
  • Darth Condom
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Art Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 06 PM »
Your fine since the PS3 has only 2 games for it right now.
What kind of games do you like? I can't make you an informed decision without knowing that!

Offline LiluDallas

• Heineken
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 06 PM »
Hmmmmm it would be easier saying what games I dislike honestly, Racing and unless it's amazing I usually steer clear of fighting  My life currently revolves around fallout 3  :rabugiri:
Komm, süsser Tod

Offline Otaku100

• Carlsberg
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Otaku100 resembles dull Tin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 03 PM »
I've been playing Final Fantasy IV DS and the original Metroid.

I like Final Fantasy IV pretty well, and this makes the third time I've played Metroid in the last month.
"I thought it was shoot the kid and keep the parents alive........whoops."

Offline ZippyZippy

• Staff
  • Sherry
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • ZippyZippy resembles dull Tin.
  • bwhahaha! Wait... what?
    • View Profile
    • HopperARTZ
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 06 PM »
Minesweeper. Nothing beats minesweeper. I love pointless games that just waste your time. That, and I stole my bro's old gameboy megamans.

・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・* .。.:*☆HELL YEAH TURTLE PARADISE CHAT IS PERFECT☆*:.。.*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・

Open in Another Window