Author Topic: Lord of Nightmares  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Tom the Mighty

• teeheeheheheeeheheheehehehehehehehheheheee
  • Staff
  • Port Wine
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Tom the Mighty resembles dull Tin.
  • Darth Condom
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Art Blog
Lord of Nightmares
« on: May 17, 2009, 05 PM »
Here is my thoughts on the Lord of Nightmares via Lina from my Slayers: Knightfall fanfic.
What do you think? Crazy? Awesome? Weird? Or just plain wrong?  I won't take offense.

I put out an arm to silently ask Gourry to back down. There was no way we could kill this thing. It partially existed on the Sea of Chaos. Even with full use of my abilities, it would be a fool’s errand to try to inflict anything upon Lucidia -- or any other Shade, for that matter.

Despite knowing all this, I decided to try and bluff it anyway.

“You know,” I said, slyly I hoped, “I just might be willing to forgive you if you are willing to answer a few questions.”

“Lina?” Gourry didn’t seem too thrilled with letting the dead priest off the hook, but I didn’t feel like explaining my line of reasoning to him just yet.

“Whether or not you forgive me is beyond my caring. But I am required to answer any and all question you may have pertaining to the Lord of Nightmares and your station as her Knightmare.” Lucidia rasped.    

“Good enough, then.” I growled my anger into the pit of my stomach, where it would fester and grow until a bandit nest could be found upon which to properly vent it.

“First question: Why was I chosen to be the Knightmare? Why not some other shmuck found off the street?”

“That answer is something only the Lord of Nightmares herself knows,” answered Lucidia.

How amazingly helpful you are . . . prick.

“However,” the priest went on. “In my tenure as . . .curator of this temple, I have witnessed the comings and goings of hundreds, if not thousand of Knightmares and have made some observations on the general character of those chosen by Her Chaotic Radiance.”

Thousands? I thought I was one of but maybe a few at most. How old really is this temple? Chaotic Radiance?

Lucidia cleared its throat, a really gross sound, coming from that creature. “Loud, arrogant, greedy and selfish, yet with a capacity for love and self-sacrifice like no other beings, the Knightmares are comprised of the best and the worst of humanity -- or whatever species the Lord deigns to pick from -- all rolled into one highly unstable and chaotic package. That is the archetype of a Knightmare.

“And you, Miss Inverse, fit the bill perfectly.”

“Gee, thanks for your overly honest, yet completely useless answer to my question. Maybe your next one will be a little better as my question is a bit more theoretical.

“I know why the Knights of gods and demons exist, but why the need for a Knightmare? The world is a screwed up place already without boneheads like me messing it up even more.”

“Ah, an easy one. You see, the Golden Lord is a capricious, flippant and easily bored Creature. When She created all, she hadn’t planned on life beginning, much less ‘gods’ and ‘demons’ warring to gain control over what sentient life did develop. Gods and demons are odd things; they exist only because beings with thought created them, wishing to believe that there was something beyond them. That wish was so fervent and pure that gods and demons, the highest ideals and basest desires of whoever thought them up, gained physical form. 

“The Lord was amused by this, watching ‘divine’ and ‘demonic’ beings that were indeed the two aspects of Herself, created by this ‘life’ that She created.  Amused and depressed. Enthralled as She was, She was also becoming lonely. While She could watch from afar like a Lady at a play, She could not directly join in or alter the events of the infinite worlds She made.  After all, pure Chaos cannot co-exist with this world without utterly annihilating it.”

I couldn’t help but think of the Giga Slave as he spoke that last line.

“If She couldn’t alter the script, change the sets or direct the drama Herself, then why not throw in Her own actors? A small piece of Her power gifted to a being that best represented Her ideals would be just as good, if not more so, than actually doing everything Herself, and without the risk of destroying Her amusement. This way, She can be surprised. This way, through Her Knightmares, the worlds can be connected to Her, if only in this small way.

“While She longs to be one with Her creations, to be what She was like in days long forgotten, She is willing to settle for throwing Her own special kind of wrenches into the ‘grand scheme’ you mortals like to call life.”

I didn’t know how to react to all of that. It was too much information to take in all at once. As lacking in detail and abridged as it was; what Lucidia had said made complete and total sense. Finally, all of the jumbled mutterings that piece of shit called the Claire Bible had spewed at me about the Lord of Nightmares were starting to make some real sense. 

I didn’t like the fact that in the grand scheme I was little more than an unexpected plot twist in the “play” of our universe. (Kinda like Xellos, now that I think of it). But then again, the Mother of All wasn’t denying my free will either, unlike certain, scaly-tailed servants of Sylpheed and Gaav that I could mention.

But this thing about the gods and demons . . .damn, just damn. The more I think about it, though, the more things truly start to click into place. If the gods and demons were really all powerful, then why could they be destroyed?

Bear with me. This is gonna get complicated.

I’ve seen people deny one god or demon or the other as their attitudes dictate, but it is nearly impossible to deny both. For instance: A thief may deny that both exist and claim there is only fate for his victims to blame. But in reality he is serving and sustaining demons by satisfying his own greed and inflicting pain on others. 

Trying to deny both demons and gods, on the other hand, is completely denying what it is to be human … or whatever you are, fishmen, for all I care. 

In essence, no matter what an individual thinks, the gods and demons are going to exist, because they are the embodiments of the subconscious ideals and desires that sentient beings on the whole share. This is why it is so difficult for a single or even a group of humans to defeat a lone demon; in most cases their will isn’t strong enough to overcome that of a larger group, from which, in essence, a demon derives its power.  Each of us has a power to deny the “higher powers,” but it is a difficult thing to harness.

Intrigued? I thought you would be. As the Claire Bible once said to me, “To destroy a demon of great power, one must possess an even greater power.”  This works for gods as well. But what is this “greater power,” you ask? 

Why the answer is simple: Free will.

Pure and simple, the embodiment of the Lord of Nightmares, the truth of Chaos itself.

Who doesn’t want to be his own man or her own woman? Who secretly resents it when asked to do something? Even if a person mightily enjoys the task at hand, he still is aggravated slightly by the affront to his free will.  To think, do, rest, sleep, take, believe, know, love, hate, kill, show mercy -- to do anything, whatever you desire. That is what all people in the world, in the deepest, darkest depths of their souls, truly desire, yet are so afraid to actually obtain. But they would be unstoppable if they could.

The Giga Slave, the Ragna Blade, all my repertoire of Nightmare Magic, the purest representation of chaos, the antithesis of the maddeningly structured world our weak minds created for us so long ago. Gods, demons, rules, society, all these things we created for the illusion of safety for ourselves because we can’t imagine, as once again the Claire Bible puts it, “a being so vast, no mind or record can truly appreciate:”

In other words, free will. Chaos. The Lord of Nightmares. 

I chuckled inwardly. Oh, those moronic demons always are spouting off about abandoning the gods and having freedom. If they were truly free, they wouldn’t care about humans one way or the other. But then again, being what they are and coming from where they came from, they can never have free will. For that, I truly pitied them.

“Oh,” I weakly gasped.  Like I said earlier, it was a lot to take in all at once.

“You are finally starting to understand. It will make things easier for you in the end, I believe. You now understand what the Lord of Nightmares truly is, but you are still a way from truly accepting it. Once you do, however, nothing in this world, or any other for that matter, will be able to deny your free will.” Lucidia seemed to be smiling, despite the fact that the musculature of its face was mostly charred away.

“Any other questions?”

“Wha-? Uh, no thanks. I think I’m just going to sit here for a while. Do you have anything to eat in this joint?”  Langort had neglected to reincarnate food into my growling belly.

“We’ve evolved beyond the need for food, Miss Inverse.”

“But I’m hungry and my brain hurts!”

“Perhaps I can solve one of these for you.”

“Aha! I knew you had food!”

“No, but I have my Shard that you’ve been questing for so long.”

“That works too,” I jumped to my feet and kicked Gourry in the shins to wake him up.

“Morning, Sunshine, what’s for breakfast?” the goof said, yawning.

“Destiny, I do believe. Sweet wonderful destiny.” I smiled.

“What’s that taste like?”

SMACK!

“Ow.”
Did you bring home the coleslaw you lazy B#&*@!?

Offline Melfra

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.
  • Fandom Hates Me
    • View Profile
    • Melfra Likes Turtles
Re: Lord of Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05 PM »
Chaotic Radiance.. I totally dig that. Really, it's great reading an actual intelligent perspective on morality and deities in Slayers. I mean, giving logic to LoN's choice of Lina in such a... logical way? Genius. I also liked how it points out that Lina, while special, isn't the only special one out there. And while that sort of thing gets depressing when you think about the series as a whole, it provides some great insight into each individual character. I'd actually like to read the rest of this sometime. And thanks for posting this!

Offline Tom the Mighty

• teeheeheheheeeheheheehehehehehehehheheheee
  • Staff
  • Port Wine
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Tom the Mighty resembles dull Tin.
  • Darth Condom
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Art Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05 PM »
Glad you like it! Here;s the link to the full version : http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2390013/1/Slayers_Knightfall_Assassins_and_Shadows
Did you bring home the coleslaw you lazy B#&*@!?

Offline Melfra

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.
  • Fandom Hates Me
    • View Profile
    • Melfra Likes Turtles
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05 PM »
Bitchin'. I'll totally be reading that later.

Offline Otaku100

• Carlsberg
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Otaku100 resembles dull Tin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04 PM »
That's great!
"I thought it was shoot the kid and keep the parents alive........whoops."

・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・* .。.:*☆HELL YEAH TURTLE PARADISE CHAT IS PERFECT☆*:.。.*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・

Open in Another Window