Author Topic: ALL THINGS COMPUTER!!! (except mac....lol)  (Read 5419 times)

Offline rainstride

• Staff
  • Dark Rum
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • rainstride resembles dull Tin.
  • set the world on fire!
    • View Profile
ALL THINGS COMPUTER!!! (except mac....lol)
« on: May 22, 2010, 02 PM »
So, I'm bored as hell.... and was trying to think of something to post about in the forums to try and breath life in to the place  :frustrated:. But the only thing I could think to start a thread about (that I like to talk about :cuteface:) was computers. So, thats what I'm doing.

This thread is going to be for pretty much every and any thing computer related. You all can ask questions and we will try to help you troubleshoot your problem if we can. Or we can talk about hardware and software. Or we may post about cool software we like. Or whatever.....

On my system i run ubuntu So, I can help with ubuntu, and windows.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03 AM by rainstride »

Anon

Re: ALL THINGS COMPUTER!!! (except mac....lol)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 03 PM »
I would tinker with more OS-es if I just had proper hardware to run it on.... but I do keep myself updated with hardware!
Oh, and troubleshooting windows is not my forte... because I never mess up with it   :pshyeah:
But I am always helpful and likely to gloat, so ask me anyway!  :lolgiri:

And I do like AMD.....  :rabugiri:

Offline rainstride

• Staff
  • Dark Rum
  • set the world on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 03 PM »
Its been about 2+ years since I used windows....So I'm not completely up to date on win7. but chances are I can troubleshoot it. Or preferably just plain shoot it.......

Anon

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 03 PM »
I am experienced Vista user... not so experienced XP user... and I am good with computery stuff.... got a black belt in Goojitsu (Google's Jiusitsu)
but it's funny... last BSOD was on XP laptop, and that was because mobo was fried... and then I had a virus infection... that I removed despite not being admin.... RAWR, FEAR MY DELETING SKILLS

Offline rainstride

• Staff
  • Dark Rum
  • set the world on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03 PM »
got a black belt in Goojitsu (Google's Jiusitsu)
The greatest skill of them all  :blah:.....

I switched from xp to ubuntu. so xp is a walk in the park.

It seems we have a pretty even skill set across the board :cuteface:.

Anon

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 04 PM »
Oh, and you got the title wrong... Mac got a place in here, it's what we bash when we can't agree on anything else  :razz:
Welcome to Turtle Paradise's /g/  :numnumgiri:

Offline rainstride

• Staff
  • Dark Rum
  • set the world on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 04 PM »
lol

Offline Rebmastu

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.
  • Translator of the West
    • View Profile
    • MEIN MAL (Livejournal inactive)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 04 PM »
looool /g/

I'm not sure if it's just because the laptop I have is an utter piece of shit, but Vista takes forever to load and I BSOD probably two or three times a month. Then again, I'm constantly running it (but with an extra fan!), so maybe the board's starting to fry, or something... Poor Photoshop lags all to hell unless I restart my computer sometimes. =\
This is the first face you will see in hell.

Anon

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04 PM »
Just a general thing about Vista and Windows 7.
Don't run as Administrator. Seriously.
It's unnecessary and exposes you to serious security holes, as well as prevents you from simply installing whatever floats your boat without a second thought!
Seriously, don't run as Administrator. Use two different users. I am darn serious here.

Offline rainstride

• Staff
  • Dark Rum
  • set the world on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 07 PM »
looool /g/

I'm not sure if it's just because the laptop I have is an utter piece of shit, but Vista takes forever to load and I BSOD probably two or three times a month. Then again, I'm constantly running it (but with an extra fan!), so maybe the board's starting to fry, or something... Poor Photoshop lags all to hell unless I restart my computer sometimes. =\
the problem probably isn't your hardware. its most likely vista. unfortunately once vista gets messed up to the point of BSOD often. your best bet is to use the system restore disc's. (on hp computers there is a program in the start menu that can make a restore disc). are you able to make one?   

Offline BurntPie

• Staff
  • Dark Rum
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • BurntPie resembles dull Tin.
  • Please Love Me ;A;
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 09 AM »
This thread is computer racism!  :argh:

but well, nice job helping out with your huge amounts of knowledge lol
i'll be sure to post something if i ever do get some problems with my- *shudder*
windows. :D

Anon

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 11 AM »
Pie, it's fair play to bash Apple! It's about the only thing with computer brands that me and Strider can agree on would be best to see very reduced sales (well, we kind off agree that AMD should have higher sales)

Offline Wisty

• Svagdricka
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Wisty resembles dull Tin.
  • Brb, fangirling over Tom Lehrer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 12 PM »
Windows 7, YEAHHH. I used to have a laptop that had Vista on it, and had no problems with it other than at random times it decided that the internet had encountered a problem and needed to close. FOR NO REASON. And it couldn't run the Sims 3, ;_;

Plus, the virus on this computer is gone. :3 YAY. Thx Dad.

Anon

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 04 AM »
a thing about browser security. always block flash as default, and use a browser with small market share.
Why small market share? because most security holes are directed at a single browser, and with a small market share it's less likely that people will do the effort of attacking holes, even if they find them. in that way, firefox can be regarded as less safe than other browser, even if the browser probably is the most secure, technically, but with such a big market share it's a prime target for attacks.

Offline rainstride

• Staff
  • Dark Rum
  • set the world on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 05 AM »
a thing about browser security. always block flash as default, and use a browser with small market share.
Why small market share? because most security holes are directed at a single browser, and with a small market share it's less likely that people will do the effort of attacking holes, even if they find them. in that way, firefox can be regarded as less safe than other browser, even if the browser probably is the most secure, technically, but with such a big market share it's a prime target for attacks.
No, do not do that. A browser with a tiny user base has a fraction the testing and many times more security holes then a well tested browser like firefox. on top of that "no script" blocks and prevents a huge amount of possible security holes. Using a no name browser does nothing but open more security holes for people to use. while taking away security. Stick to firefox.

And, to anyone who decides to switch to a no name untested browser. don't be the least bit surprised when you system gets destroyed by some 10 year old script kiddy with too much time on his hands.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05 AM by rainstride »

・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・* .。.:*☆HELL YEAH TURTLE PARADISE CHAT IS PERFECT☆*:.。.*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・

Open in Another Window