Author Topic: The death of... FREE MANGA!?  (Read 1754 times)

Offline epikwonder

• Staff
  • Carlsberg
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • epikwonder resembles dull Tin.
  • Sweets. Are. Life.
    • View Profile
The death of... FREE MANGA!?
« on: July 24, 2010, 08 PM »
Has anyone checked onemanga, etc. lately? Apparently, they're shutting it down. And  many online manga reading sites have removed series like Bleach, Naruto and stuff because of the whole legal issues and all.

So what does that mean for us?

Offline Melfra

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.
  • Fandom Hates Me
    • View Profile
    • Melfra Likes Turtles
Re: The death of... FREE MANGA!?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09 PM »
Wow, I was gonna make a post about this the other day but got too damn lazy...

Anyway, we've been talking about it a lot in the Cbox over the past few days, but here's my opinion (and some actual facts).

Turtle Paradise is going to continue on as normal. Just because some aggregator sites decided to finally acknowledge the illegalities of what we've all known for years, doesn't mean TP's going to shut down. As usual, we'll take down series as the licensed volumes come out, and honor any C&Ds we may or may not receive in the future. In short, nothing's really changed for us... except that our traffic has doubled in the last week, lolol

In the event that OpenManga does take off and offer services from the authors of any series we work on, we'll be participating in the scanlation efforts there. Hopefully the fee isn't too large!

That being said, this is by no means an end to free manga. It's an end to free manga sites. I'm both happy and sad to see it go. On one hand I'm not going DERP I'LL CHECK OUT ____ on this site today! But on the other hand (and I've seen countless scanlators mention this) it means a return to... well, scanlator popularity. That means no more sites like OneManga and MangaToshokan diverting traffic from our site to theirs, as well as a return to scanlator accountability. I can't be the only one who's noticed a decline in quality ever since these sites came out, right? I'm hoping this means an influx of people who want to discuss series on sites like ours, but I can't really say one way or another. I mean, who knows, right?

The funniest part about this, in my opinion, is how many people are positively freaking the fuck out about it. Well, okay, these are the same people who sit around and read manga just because it's accessible, not because they genuinely enjoy it. I nearly got into an argument on LJ with someone over this, and I know it'll have come up at one point or another, but the whole scanlations vs fansubs thing... I can actually see the legal gray area with fansubs more. These programs are broadcast over open airwaves, so it's not like you're paying on a per-episode basis unless you're...well, on a subscription site. But free manga? Legally speaking, there is no such thing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09 PM by Melfra »

Offline epikwonder

• Staff
  • Carlsberg
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • epikwonder resembles dull Tin.
  • Sweets. Are. Life.
    • View Profile
Re: The death of... FREE MANGA!?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09 PM »
Alright, cool. Because I was getting mini-heart attacks thinking scanlation groups were going to have to close down. The FBI's getting involved as well. http://manganews.net/news.php?article=1443

It's good that out traffic is doubling. I can't wait for OpenManga to kick off. :-P

And I see what you mean with the good and bad side of it. It really vexes me when I see LQ scans on sites.

There's actually been a sorta solution to the fansubs. Translate and calibrate the subs, then put them online WITHOUT the video. Fans are free to download the TEXTED SUBS and by loading them onto the raw videos, tada! Fansubs! The only catch being you gotta buy the videos. lol...

Other scanlation groups have mentioned using irc if they came under fire.

I guess we can just enjoy it while it lasts. (Which hopefully will be forever.)

・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・* .。.:*☆HELL YEAH TURTLE PARADISE CHAT IS PERFECT☆*:.。.*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・

Open in Another Window