Author Topic: Legal Scanlations  (Read 1620 times)

Offline ZippyZippy

• Staff
  • Sherry
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • ZippyZippy resembles dull Tin.
  • bwhahaha! Wait... what?
    • View Profile
    • HopperARTZ
Legal Scanlations
« on: November 17, 2010, 07 PM »
-Eep, put this in the wrong board, someone what to move this cause i'll just make a mess of it if i try XD-

I'm sure some of ya have heard of this already, but I wondering what ya think of it.
-stealing info off b a k a updates-

Digital Manga Guild (DMG) is looking to legitimize scanlations by teaming up with Japanese publishers that will provide thousands of manga titles to be translated by people like you, anyone that can translate, edit, or typeset. You can register either as a group or individual. If you register as an individual, you will be given a title to either translate, edit, or typeset (whatever you registered to do) as a test to make sure you are up to standards. If you register as a group, you will be given a title to translate, edit, and typeset. If you qualify, you will be given more titles to work on. The revenue will then be split three ways; to you, the Japanese publisher, and to DMG. For more information, check out the site and watch the video:

http://www.digitalmangaguild.com/

Think it could work or do ya think it's going to run into a wall.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07 PM by ZippyZippy »

Offline Melfra

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.Melfra resembles shiny Steel.
  • Fandom Hates Me
    • View Profile
    • Melfra Likes Turtles
Re: Legal Scanlations
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 08 PM »
Does want...well, conceptually. Seeing all these digital manga/legal scanlation movements popping up with no results so far... maybe I'm rushing things, but it feels like it's been so long since we got any real news on this front. Has anyone even gone public with a launch list yet?

Well, aside from that, I wonder how all these different legal scanlation things intend to coexist. Is this going to end up as a HD-DVD vs Blu-ray style competition, or a bunch of different sites doing their own thing? I see a lot of politics getting involved in the future... aside from that, have any of these so-called projects even launched yet? There's the Crunchyroll project, the OpenManga project, and then I think another one by the coalition (I could be wrong on that- but it's got Kadokawa and some others involved, I believe). How do they all intend to get along, and what exactly do they intend to host? I think we'll know after someone finally launches a list of their series to the public.

brb, moving to a public forum~
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08 PM by Melfra »

Offline Rebmastu

• Administrator
  • Three Ships Blend
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.Rebmastu resembles dull Steel.
  • Translator of the West
    • View Profile
    • MEIN MAL (Livejournal inactive)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 02 PM »
Like Melly said, a lot of businesses have been popping up out of nowhere to claim they'll be the first to legalize scanlations, but all we're getting so far is a lot of lip service and no action. This one seems... Okay? It's the first one to offer registration, at least, so that shows some sort of initiative. I just signed up for an account, and it seems they have a prereg screening program going on. Let's see where this ends up.
This is the first face you will see in hell.

Offline Moonshayde

• Staff
  • Mulled Wine
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Moonshayde resembles dull Tin.
  • The greater of two evils.
    • View Profile
    • Art Blargh
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 06 PM »
Are you sure they aren't just rounding up the usual suspects for a huge bust? Says the cynical bitch...

・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・* .。.:*☆HELL YEAH TURTLE PARADISE CHAT IS PERFECT☆*:.。.*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・

Open in Another Window